11 things you should know about Saina Nehwal on her birthday
India’s one of the most talented female sportsperson, Saina Nehwal celebrates her 25th birthday, today! Sania received many birthday blessings from her fans and she took to twitter to thank all of them.
The young Indian badminton player has not just won many firsts for our country but stands at the 2nd rank according to Badminton World Federation. This is not it, there are more interesting things about this rock-star which you should definitely know. So, here we bring the 10 interesting facts you should know about the birthday girl.
1. Sania was born in Hisar, Haryana, but was brought up in Hyderabad.
2. Badminton is like her family’s very-own talent. Her parents, Harvir Singh and Usha Nehwal were former State Badminton Champions.
3. She is the first Indian woman to reach the quarter finals at Beijing Olympic Games and win a medal (bronze) at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
4. She is the first Indian to win the World Junior Badminton Championships and a Super Series tournament, by clinching the Indonesia Open on 21 June 2009.
5. Saina won 2014 China Open Super Series Premier in November, 2014.
6. Before playing badminton, Saina learnt Karate and owns a brown belt.
7. She ranked World No 2 in 2010 and dropped to No 6 in 2011. However, she re-entered the top 5 in the year 2011. Saina is placed at rank 2 again, currently.
8. Saina won Arjuna Award in 2009, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2009–2010, and Padma Shri award in 2010.
9. Saina was one of the 8 brand ambassadors at the Commonwealth Games 2010 which happened in New Delhi.
10. Saina celebrates her big wins by indulging in ice-cream.
11. Saina Nehwal created a history by becoming the first female Indian to enter into the All England Badminton Championship final by beating China’s Sun Yu.